Family, friends and good food are the foundations of our lives. We celebrate with them, mourn with them and nothing can bring us comfort more than a steaming bowl of soup or a slice of chocolate cake except for the love of our family and friends...

Monday, July 19, 2010

DARK FRUITCAKE WITH GRAND MARNIER

Don't let the name scare you, we've all heard the horror stories of fruitcake, but believe me this cake is dense, moist and chock full of goodies. I dare anyone to try it and not like it!

It took me years to get my fruitcake recipe as I wanted it. I began with an old recipe in my grandmothers Amy Vanderbilt cookbook, added this, took out that and finally we ended up with this recipe.

Last Chrismtas I decided to change and use Grand Marnier and a Peach Wine I bought in Tennessee instead of the usualy Rum and people loved it. I have in the past used various liquours included Rum, 50 year old Jack Daniels and Peach Wine from Habersham Farms.

The orignial recipe called for Dates and Currants which I left out as I don't like dates and have never seen Currants for sale here in our area.
7 cups of candied fruit as follows:
2 cups of cherries
2 cups of pineapple
1 cup of mixed fruit
1 cup white raisins

Cover and soak fruit for at least 24 hours in equal parts of Grand Marnier and Peach Wine. Drain fruit well before using.

Have all ingredients at room temp, preheat oven to 300 and grease and line bottom and sides of pans with paper bag and Crisco.

Sift together

3 cups all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground mace
1/2 t ground cloves
In a large bowl beat until creamy about 30 seconds:
2 sticks unsalted butter
Gradually add and beat on high speed until light in color:
1/2 cup dark molasses
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon

Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with 3/4 cup of brandy or wine (Grand Marnier)

Beat on low speed or stir with rubber spatula until just blended.

Drain fruit, add 2 cups chopped nuts (I used a mixture of walnuts and pecans toss this with flour and shake off excess, add to cake batter.

Scrape into pan and bake for 3 1/2 hours, if cake is getting too dark, place foil on it for the last 30 – 60 minutes.

Let cool in pan on rack for 1 hour, invert on rack and remove paper to finish cooling.

I then poured Grand Marnier onto a linen towel and wrapped it around cake and drizzled more on top…

Grand Marnier on FoodistaGrand Marnier

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious!
    What size pan did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I misssed this some how, I used a standard bundt or round pound cake pan.

      Delete