Family, friends and good food are the foundations of our lives. We celebrate with them, mourn with them and nothing can bring us comfort more than a steaming bowl of soup or a slice of chocolate cake except for the love of our family and friends...

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

SPICED TOMATO JAM


A bowl of Heirloom Tomatoes



This year I made our favorite jam with heirloom tomatoes that we grew; I combined yellow, orange and red tomatoes and my jam is beautiful dark amber color. Next batch I hope I have enough all yellow. Our house smelled wonderful (almost like Christmas Wassail) as I was making the jam and my daughter said it was strange because it was 100 degrees outside and it smelled like winter time!

I use good brand spices such as Spice Island or McCormick when making this and recommend that you do the same; I found a Saigon Cinnamon that is by Spice Island that smells like red hots and has a wonderful flavor, try it the next time you buy Cinnamon.



This jam is wonderful on a block of cream cheese served with crackers! But more on that later….



3 cups prepared tomatoes (about 2¼ pounds)
1½ teaspoon grated lemon zest/peel
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
4½ cups sugar
1 box powdered pectin
¼ cup lemon juice

To Prepare Fruit: Wash firm-ripe tomatoes. Scald, peel and chop tomatoes. I chop what I can but the majority of my tomatoes I put in a piece of muslin and squeeze the juice through, that way I don’t have any seeds in my jam.

Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Measure 3 cups tomatoes into a sauce pot and add lemon peel, allspice, cinnamon and cloves.

To Make Jelly: Place prepared fruit into a sauce pot. Add lemon juice. Measure sugar and set aside. Stir powdered pectin into prepared fruit. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.

Add sugar all at once. Stir and bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Then boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam. Pour hot jam immediately into hot, sterile canning jars, leaving ¼-inch head space. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in boiling water bath.

Yield: About 5 -6 half-pint jars


Spiced Tomato Jelly/jam on FoodistaSpiced Tomato Jelly/jam

1 comment:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete